UA-128298582-1

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Week 16, Part A Blog Post


Out of all the social media platforms that we have explored, I have probably enjoyed using Facebook the most. Since my fictional business, Codex Alexandria, is an educational software company that would focus on selling reputable, seriously academic software to children who have an interested in learning more in a variety of academic fields outside of a school environment, I especially like the way that Facebook is structured. Since Facebook allows users the ability to publish posts featuring an unlimited amount of words, it has the greatest potential for me to communicate my points about Codex Alexandria in depth, compared to social media websites like Twitter and Instagram that would limit the amount of space that I would have to write whatever I like. Since I am a writer, I believe that I communicate the most effectively when I can paint images into people’s heads with words, and I feel like words would clearly often explain whatever I would be trying to convey about Codex Alexandria better than any social media platform that is heavily image based (like Pinterest, Snapchat, or Instagram) could ever do. However, I also did enjoy using Twitter, although perhaps not as much as Facebook. Even though I prefer the option of being able to write as much as I want with a given space, I did appreciate the fact that Twitter provided the right infrastructure for me to be able to write fun, creative tweets that did not necessarily have to be directly related to selling Codex Alexandria products. I enjoyed the fact that I could hypothetically connect with my potential customers in a fun, social manner without aggressively pressuring them into buying any Codex Alexandria software, a tactic which I think could have backfired on me had I attempted to make the subjects of my Twitter posts all about communicating news about upcoming sales on Codex Alexandria software. In addition, I also appreciated the fact that compared to Facebook, it is easy to follow and be associated with other related educational companies (similar enough to Codex Alexandria). Unlike Twitter, which allows anyone with a Twitter account to follow and associate with any other users or companies that they want to, Facebook and LinkedIn, two other social media sites that I think would be used effectively for promoting Codex Alexandria, require that users who seek friends/connections on those websites have their friend requests approve before being allowed to associate with other users. I basically like the fact that it is a lot quicker and easy to for Codex Alexandria to socially network with similar computer-based education companies on Twitter compared other social media sites.

In my personal opinion, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn would most effectively complement Codex Alexandria for a few key reasons. Of course, Codex Alexandria would greatly benefit from Facebook because its profile would probably be accessed by many more users because Facebook has millions upon millions more registered users than other social media websites that I have listed here. On Facebook, a social media manager for Codex Alexandria would be able to write posts of any length and engage with other users in the comment section. Twitter would obviously work well for Codex Alexandria, because, as an educational software company, Codex Alexandria’s tweets can be a variety of subjects, including everything about upcoming sales, links to articles about the future of e-learning, and interesting, random facts about academic topics that might delight codex Alexandria’s followers. It would also benefit Codex Alexandria to maintain a LinkedIn profile because having one would announce Codex Alexandria’s status as a legitimate business with a reputable record of manufacturing high-quality software that actually works for students that use it. Out of all the tools we studied this semester, I would be most inclined to implement Google Analytics and SEO in my online marketing strategy. Google Analytics would benefit Codex Alexandria because this tool would show me crucial information such as the demographics of users who visit Codex Alexandria social media websites, and at what hours of the day and days of the week that people are most likely to visit these profile pages. Being about to look at these statistics would help me more effectively gage when I should post new social media posts so that they are more likely to be read immediately after they are posted. These are also the reasons why I also believe that Codex Alexandria could also benefit from using Facebook Analytics as a tool. Finally, Codex Alexandria could benefit from using SEO (Search Engine Optimization) as a tool because implementing SEO would mean that people searching for phrases “educational companies”, “e-learning”, “educational companies” would find information about Codex Alexandria faster than they otherwise would. This is because the implementation of SEO would put any websites featuring information about codex Alexandria closer to the top of search engines results in major search engines such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing.

Since I have never actually run my own business before, it is difficult for me to figure out how much time I would have to spend marketing Codex Alexandria on social media if it were a real business. Nevertheless, I will attempt to respond reasonably to this question. I think it would best if Codex Alexandria devoted roughly two days a week to spend time maintaining and expanding its social media profiles. I feel this way because the most successful (well-known with a lot of social media followers) businesses that I researched during the course of this class seemed to all be posted within a general time span of every 3 to 5 days, or approximately twice a week. During each session spent updating Codex Alexandria’s social media profiles and publishing new posts, I would spend approximately 45 minutes to an 1 hour on performing these tasks. Within this period of time, I could probably write at least two well-written posts and spend time going back and forth to previous posts on the Codex Alexandria social media accounts to respond to my visitors’ questions and comments. Posting every day would seem excessive and it would appear that the employees at Codex Alexandria have no other concerns than just trying to bolster company’s presence on social media, which might make the company look as though it were a shallow veneer lacking substance. Ultimately, I would not want Codex Alexandria’s social media presence to overshadow the fact that the company’s ultimate mission (and how its employees spend the majority of their time) is actually creating high-quality software products that will help students with access to a computer at home.

It is difficult to plan out what kind of content that I can post on social media for Codex Alexandria’s profiles, but I will attempt to sketch out at least somewhat of a framework that I could follow. With regard to future LinkedIn content, I could spend January 1st-5th establishing a presence on Linked by writing a biography about the company, and then sending friend requests to other educational companies that I discover on LinkedIn. From January 6th to 31st, I could write four to six articles on topics such as the future of online education, the benefits of teaching computer technology to schoolchildren, and other topics related to Codex Alexandria software on various academic course subjects. During this time, I would also continue to try to network with other educational companies and hope that at least some of them accept my connection requests. As for future Twitter content, I could spend the whole month gradually revisiting Twitter whenever I come up with any idea from an interesting, educational tweet that might reflect positively on the academic integrity of Codex Alexandria. Since it would tacky and premeditated if I were to release nine tweets on the same day and then post only one tweet two weeks later, I would use this strategy to make my tweets appear as if they were organic and freely flowing. With regard to future Facebook content, my strategy would to post anything (as long as it is related to marketing Codex Alexandria products or the type of interesting educational facts that I might post for the company on other social media websites) that randomly comes into my head within every 3-5 days from the last post was published.

No comments:

Post a Comment